Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Soup, Chips, & Sweets: Yummy Cold-Weather Reveille Recipes

Silky Cauliflower Soup

Reveille Camper: Lindsay Weinberg

Reveille Camper: Since 2007
Reveille Staff Member: Since 2008

SILKY CAULIFLOWER SOUP

I love soups in the winter and I love cauliflower. I think it is one of the more underrated vegetables and I love to use it in cooking. My husband and I have a favorite date night spot near our apartment in NYC. It's a delicious steak house that opened a more casual version of the namesake next door, smartly named Strip House Next Door. We love to go there on cold winter nights and share a steak, a caesar salad, and a couple of their yummy sides. At the beginning of each meal while you look over the menu they bring you a taste (in a large shot glass) of the most delectable creamy silk cauliflower soup. I have been trying to recreate it without using a pound of butter and a vat of heavy cream! You can make a really rich indulgent version but I have been wanting to have this soup more often so I found this recipe on Food Network (love!) that is a lighter version of the creamy soup. I always love variations of dishes I'm making, so let me know if you have one! 

Ingredients
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 
  • Optional: splash of heavy cream to finish a creamier soup or some butter to add extra rich flavor at end
  • Garnishes: Here are my personal suggestions for add-ons that will really enhance this soups flavor without adding a ton of calories: Truffle oil, extra shaved parmesan, rosemary, thyme, cracked black pepper, pesto or pesto oil, truffle salt, cayenne pepper, roasted garlic, chopped green onion, or crisp pancetta or bacon crumbles.
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 
  • Remove the leaves and core from cauliflower and coarsely chop
  • Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat
  • Add onions and garlic and cook until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes
  • Add the cauliflower and stock and bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until the cauliflower is very soft and falling apart, about 15 minutes
  • Remove from heat and using a handheld immersion blender (one of my favorite tools!) purred the soup.  You can also puree in small batches in a blender* and then return to pot
  • Add Parmesan and stir until smooth
  • Optional: This is where you can stir in some heavy cream for some extra creaminess or some butter to finish off the rich flavor
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper
  • Serve warm with garnishes (see below for suggestions) and enjoy! 
  • Here are garnishes that I think enhance the flavor of this soup: Truffle oil, extra shaved parmesan, rosemary, thyme, cracked black pepper, pesto or pesto oil, truffle salt, cayenne pepper, roasted garlic, chopped green onion, or crisp pancetta or bacon crumbles.
*Blending hot liquids can be dangerous so be sure to let your soup cool for at least 5 minutes off the heat before starting this process. Do not fill the blender more than halfway. Release one corner of the lid to avoid a "vacuum effect" that can create a heat explosions. Place a towel over the machine while pulsing a few ties before switching to high speed to finish the process. 



Debi's Sweet Potato Chips 

Reveille Recipe Contributor: Debi Gray from Harrison, Maine

DEBI'S SWEET POTATO CHIPS 

I'm a huge chipaholic. YUP, I loooove chips! Love them so much that I eat them just about every day. Blue, kale, corn, and zucchini, but my favorite are sweet potato! Ok, so truth be told, I don't eat them just because they're undoubtedly delicious, I eat them for my skin. That’s right; sweet potatoes have a very high nutritional value. They are loaded with vitamin A, which is essential for healthy skin. So if you want your skin to glow...eat up!

Ingredients:
  • 2 organic sweet potatoes 
  • Sea Salt (Debi's recommendation is Real Salt. Find out where to purchase here.
  • Pepper to taste
Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  • Scrub potatoes and dry completely. 
  • Slice thinly (I use a mandolin) 
  • Add Salt & Pepper to potatoes, then toss with your hands to get the best coverage. 
  • Bake for 30 to 40 minutes on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. 
  • Yum! I bet you can't eat just one!

ASK's Apple Treat

Reveille Camper: Eileen Kaplan

Camper In: 2010, 2011, 2013 

ASK'S APPLE TREATS

My husband is a great chef!  He cooks great dinners to help me while i'm on my diet. The other day he made me the most delicious apple dessert...sugar free! I love apple pie and apple crumble and this recipe keeps the carbs down while I still get the delicious satisfaction of eating an apple desert. 

Ingredients: 
  • 6-7 peeled & sliced Gala apples
  • 1 tbsp Splenda OR 4 packets of Truvia
  • Cinnamon to taste 
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 1/4 plumped raisins (if desired)
Directions:
  • Peel and cut apples into slices. 
  • Place into large bowl
  • Add cinnamon, sweetener of your choice, and Vanilla. 
  • Add plumped raisins (if you choose) 
  • Mix up good
  • Transfer apples into an 8x8 pan (I always us glass)
  • Bake for 30 mins UNCOVERED until tender at 375 degrees F
  • NOTE: Careful not to let it turn to applesauce
  • Eat cold or warm up in a microwave
  • Top with a swirl of light or low cal whipping cream.
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment